Specialist cataract & lens replacement eye surgeon
Mr Simon N Madge
MA (Cantab.) BM BCh (Oxon.) MRCP FRCOphth
- Mr Madge is a specialist cataract, refractive and eyelid surgeon, who is fully trained in 'keyhole', micro-incision cataract surgery (phacoemulsification), laser eye surgery and the lens replacement procedure. For more information and patient testimonials, please visit www.HerefordVision.com, our sister website.
- He pioneered the introduction of injectable intraocular lens technology to Hereford in 2009, allowing smaller incision surgery with the associated benefits to his patients of reduced astigmatism and safer procedures. In 2013, he introduced Tecnis lens technology, with enhanced benefits for his patients and then developed laser refractive surgery in Hereford in 2014.
- He provides a bespoke service to each individual patient, allowing patients the choice of multifocal, toric (astigmatic correction) or standard intraocular lenses, depending on their individual requirements. His most recent surgical outcome data are available here.
- More and more of Mr Madge's clinical time is spent with patients who are keen to reduce their dependence on glasses. Find out more about laser eye surgery and lens replacement surgery.
- As one of Herefordshire's regional surgical eyelid specialists, he is happy to provide expertise in cosmetic eye surgery, watery eyes, droopy and baggy eyelids, eyelid tumours and any major or minor disorder of the eyelids / orbit / tear system. In addition to seeing patients at The Wye Clinic, he also has admission rights to Nuffield Health Hereford.
- Mr Madge studied medicine at Jesus College, Cambridge University, graduating with a Double First Class degree in Medicine in 1994, before studying clinical medicine at Magdalen College, Oxford University. After initially training in general internal medicine and gaining Membership of the Royal College of Physicians, he then started specialist training in Ophthalmology. After working in Bath and Nottingham, he completed his Higher Surgical Specialist Training on the Peninsular Rotation (Devon), gaining Fellowship of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists in 2007.
- He has undertaken two Fellowships in Oculoplastic, Lacrimal and Orbital Surgery: (i) with Mr VT Thaller at the Plymouth Royal Eye Infirmary and (ii) with Professor Dinesh Selva, Dr Garry Davis & Dr James Muecke at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, Australia, widely regarded as one of the best training opportunities in this field in the world.
- He is an examiner for the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and is Fellowship Director of the Hereford International Clinical Fellowship in Ophthalmology & Oculoplastics.
- He is the author of two successful ophthalmic textbooks and over 50 ophthalmic scientific papers, examples of which can be accessed in the Publication section.
- 1994 Cambridge University Double First Class Degree & Scholarship.
- 1995 & 1996 Oxford University Full Blue in Cross County Running, England Junior International in 1997.
- 1997: Patrick Mallam Memorial prize in Clinical Medicine at Oxford University.
- 2004: Elizabeth Hunt medal for highest mark in the Royal College of Ophthalmologists Part II Membership Examination.
- 2007: Pfizer Ophthalmic Fellowship Award, Royal College of Ophthalmologists.
- 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 Nominated by the West Midlands Deanery as the Region's 'Star Trainer' in Ophthalmic Surgery.
- Personal life: Mr Madge is married with three daughters and lives in Hereford. To relax, he enjoys cycling, walking and golfing in the beautiful Herefordshire countryside. Favourite tipples include local ales from the Wye Valley Brewery, French and Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc, and rich Italian classic Amarones.